Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Two Cards and a New Technique!

Hello! Yes, you read right! I have two cards for you today! Over the weekend, I was going through blogs on my reader and I came across a blog with a technique I haven't ever done. Well, that is not totally true, part of it I think I have done before, but this person took it one step further. The technique is called Black Magic with a White Twist. Check out this post at
http://karenbarberstamps.blogspot.com/2009/05/happy-mothers-day-everyone-here-with-my.html She has a complete tutorial. But, don't worry I will give you the basic how-to here. My first photo is a close-up view of the technique. Then, the two completed cards will follow with all the details!








So, basically the technique is this ... stamp on a dark color with white ink. Then with a very light shade of your colored pencil, color the image, Now, pick up a contrast shade of colored pencil and add color over the lighter shade. She says that the more sharply contrasting the shades the more dramatic the colors will pop. Make sure to leave enough of your original color on there so that the contrast is evident. After coloring both the lighter and the contrasting color, add dots and highlights with a white gel pen. That is what makes the whole thing pop. I guess Karen is the one who came up with adding the white pen accents. She is so right, this added white, really does make the images come alive!


Now, that you know how I did the technique for the main image of the cards, let me talk a little about the cards themselves. On the first one, did you notice that even though I used buttons, I still couldn't resist adding some tiny white pearls, too? I just can't live without my embellishments! I made both of the technique images first and then found papers to match. The first card was easy to match. Since those are "my colors", I have plenty of papers to match! But the second, well, that was harder. I actually love the paper I picked. It doesn't match exactly but it definitely blends. I love both my cards and I do believe I will be doing this technique again!

I was thinking about how when I had my store and I did a technique out of a magazine, there was really no one to say thanks to. Now with the world of blogs, I can say thank you to Karen Barber (even though I don't know her)!


Recipe Card #1:


Paper - Floral by Best Creation, Pink Floral by Stampin'Up, Cardstock White, Lime Green, Black
Stamps - Flowers by Penny Black
Ink - Staz-On White, Prismacolor Pencils, Ranger White Gel Pen
Die Cuts/Punches - Nestiblities Classic Circle 2 sizes, Dahlia, Border Punch by Stampin'Up
Other - Ribbon by Creative Impressions, Buttons, Twine by The Cat's Pajamas, Pearls by Hero Arts

Recipe Card #2:


Paper - Plaid by We R Memory Keepers, Solid by Die Cuts with a View from Flower Shower Pad, Cardstock Green, White, Black
Stamps - Flowers by Hero Arts (Archivers exclusive clear set)
Ink - Staz-On White, Prismacolor Pencils, Ranger White Gel Pen
Die Cuts/Punches - Nestibilites Classic Circle Scallop 2 sizes
Other - Ribbon by Unknown, Flowers by Prima, Button, Twine by The Cat's Pajamas, Black Rhinestones by Hero Arts

Would love to hear from you! Happy Stamping!
Tina



0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com