Sunday, August 25, 2013

Art Project - Middle Steps to Completed!

Hello!  For over a month I have been talking about an art project I have been working on which is for a collaborative book for an art group I was a member of several years ago.  They are celebrating 20 years and have asked all current and past members to participate.  I did a post all about it, including the process of my idea, and the first steps in a post on July 18th.  Go here to see it.  I tried to take some pics of along the way, so I have them to show you and the completed page!  So, this is your warning  ... if you are part of the Banders art group and you don't want to see my page ahead of time, turn away!  Truthfully, I don't know if anyone associated with the art group, even reads my blog, but just in case.  Now, back to where I left off on the last post ...

Below, is the page I had showed you from the 7/18 post. I noticed in the original instructions it said to leave about 3/4" to an 1" on the left side for the binding to be added, so I had to change the layout to allow for that and to also get everything to fit.  The next pic shows the new layout. I also want to note here, that I didn't like the backside of the piece, because it had paint drippings and such.  It just didn't seem finished to me.  So, I added a white cardstock panel on the back.  Perfect and it makes it sturdier too.  I did change the front stamped sentiment to "It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters in the end." I think this better suits the whole page's theme.  As, the background is the "artsy" type art I once did, and the inside card is my style now, both being a part of my artistic journey.  Make sense?






I know I showed you a pic of the suitcases die cut.  Well, for each one, I had to score and cut 1/4" off to make them so that they would not be so tall.  I then used scor-tape to adhere all the sides.  But, the scor-tape didn't work on a lot of them, so I had to go back and add Crystal Accents (Ranger) too.  Then to make them really look like a suitcase, I added two small strips just on the front, and then a piece in the middle of them to create the fastener.  A small brad, a hole punched through the cardstock and then adhered on the backside.  Plus, I had to add the handle piece.  You can see what I mean in the last photo.  But, first, I have to talk about the card that I put on the inside of my suitcase.  Here is a pic of all the pieces before I put them into a finished card ... 




Now, here is the finished card ...

Front of the card
Inside of the card



This inside card only measures a little less than 3" x 4", but I wanted it to reflect the kind of cards I make everyday, so it had lots of layers and even the "out of the box" technique.  I used the Stampendous stickers for the headlights.  Love the effect.  And the inside sentiment goes right along with the artistic journey theme. 


And now here is the pic of the finished piece .............

Drum Roll please ......................



 
And with the suitcase opened ...

All my friends thought my whole idea was CRAZY since I had to make 30 of them!  But, once I get an idea in my head ... well, there is no changing, I have to do it!  I don't know how to think another way.  Ideas in my head are not in clean and simple styles.  But, you know what?  I got started early and did parts of it over time and so it made it not so hard to make 30.  In fact, I can't even believe that I did make 30!  And, that I am done EARLY!  (2 weeks, in fact!)  That is crazy in itself, because I am never early with anything ... I am always the procrastinator.  Proud of me and proud of the finished piece.  All original, no color copies.  I hope that there are not a lot of color copying in the book, because that will be a little disappointing.  I probably want get the finished collaborative book until October, but when I do, I'll post pics from it!  Thanks for letting me share my book page with you!

This week is my teaching week, so you probably should not expect to see me before Saturday.  I am off to prep my classes now.  Have a great one!
Happy Stamping!

Tina

1 comments:

terry said...

You clever girl! Love it, AND. early :) ~ Terry Y.

 
design by suckmylolly.com