Thursday, July 18, 2013

Art Project - Idea to First Steps!


Hello!  I have a different type post for you today, as all of my posts show you the finished card or project.  But, this one will talk about my idea and show you my beginning steps toward the idea.  I thought it would be fun to share the process with you.  You see, I am participating in a collaboration book for an art group in Dallas that I was a member of about 10 years ago.  They are celebrating 20 years and have asked present and past members to participate.  So ... if you happen to be a member and also a follower of my blog, and don't want to see my page ahead of time, then this is your warning.  Otherwise, read on!  Warning number two ...long winded!

I want to tell you about the project first. We are each to make a page (5 1/2" x 8 1/2").  I was told it could be a page of "whatever", art, pictures, quotes, memories of your time in the group, anything that reflects you. And that it can be dimensional, have pockets, sew ons or whatever your imagination comes up with.  And then copy your page for the amount participating.  Well, the determined amount participating is 30!  And I hate color copies, so for me, each one will be an original.  The deadline is Sept. 7th and that is why I am working on them now, as I know without color copying, I need time to get them done!

Now, on to my "idea".  I kept thinking about the art group and that every month I was challenged to come up with an artsy idea for the swap.  So, one day I was talking to Debbie (who does the sketch challenges on Saturdays with me) and I was saying how I remembered the challenges being "out of my box" and she said she had a Sizzix die of a suitcase and the light bulb went on!  After much thinking, let's see if I can give you the jest of my idea. I decided I would create a background of ink on my base cardstock, stamp a couple of artsy stamps on top, create a thinner suitcase from Debbie's die and insert inside a small card with my style now ... cutesy!  So that the receiver will understand my page concept, I have printed out this message for my page:  "When I think of my time in the Banders group, I think of good times and good friends, and many artsy creations, some of which were a little "out of my box".  This page is a reflection of my creativity then and now.  Inside the case, you will find a little piece of my style now.  Thank you Banders for being a part of my artistic journey.  Happy 20th!"

First steps happened on Sunday when I created the base by using three color of Distress Paints.  (Broken China, Mustard Seed, and Vintage Photo)  Thanks to my friend, Teresa, who gave me her idea for the easiest way to create a colorful base that looks a little artsy.  It was so easy, and so reminded me of finger painting, even though I didn't use my fingers directly, just swiped the cardstock thru the paints after they were spritzed with water.  Here is a pic of this step on my pages.
 


You can see that there is a lot of green ... blue and yellow made green!  Elementary level color wheel!  But, truthfully, I was a little surprised but like the result.  I will be stamping a couple of artsy stamps on this base, like the Tim Holtz wings.  See in this next pic ...
 







 

You can also see that the printed sentiment about my page is added with some clipolas. 













For the suitcase, I saw in pinterest someone used some Coordinations paper that had a Kraft core on the inside and I thought that would be a nice paper for a suitcase.  I went to the internet to find some of it by the sheet and found something that is similar but I would thought would be even better.  It is called Kraft Core Shattered so you can actually see the Kraft color without sanding.  It was a little hard to determine what color paper I should order, but I just did my best and I think what I got will work fine.  I had to order more than one color because they didn't have enough in stock of just one.  Debbie was kind enough to die cut my pieces for me.  Here is a pic of the cardstock and the all the cut pieces. 

 

 
 
Next time, I will show you the suitcase put together and the inside card.  Thanks for allowing me to share this art project with you ... in pieces!

Happy Stamping!
Tina

 
   

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it, can't wait to see the finished project. Teresa

 
design by suckmylolly.com