Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Hello!  Today, not only do you get a St. Patrick's Day card from me, but you also get a sketch, a tip, an idea, and a tutorial.  Let me get right to the card and then we can go from there.  Enjoy!

 First, let me show you the sketch ...


Now, for the tip ... This tip was actually a tip from my friend Karolyn, I tried it, it worked so I am passing the tip on to you!  On my card, the border of shamrocks and the shamrock corner are both rub-ons.  I love rub-ons but don't often use them.  The main issue I have with them is how you rub one part down but not all of it and you have to go back and try to line it up to get the rest.  With this tip, it comes out perfectly on the first try!  I cut out the portion of the rub-on I wanted, placed it on my card where I wanted it to be, adhered it with a piece of removable scotch tape, and ...this is the best part ... run it thru your die cut machine!!  Perfect!   Thanks Karolyn!

Next, the idea ... My shamrock was made with three heart shaped nestiblilities.  Here is a pic of of the 3 hearts out of green cardstock. (I was going with these, before I decided to look thru my stash for the green glitter paper).
 
Last bur not least is my tutorial.  There are several companies out there, including Sizzix in conjunction with Tim Holtz who have come out with dies to make the rosettes like the one I used on my card.  I realized that all the dies out there have one thing in common, they score in even spaces along a strip.  I decided who needs a die to help me score, I can do that!  I did all my scoring with Martha Stewarts score board...I love this tool.  Since I was making my own rosette, before adding my score lines, I used a border punch along the edge of my strip which measured 11" long x 1 1/4" tall. 

After I  punched my border, I made score lines ever 1/4 inch.  To make it easier to fold accordion style, I actually made 1/2" score lines from end to end and then turn my strip over and did 1/2" scores lines on the other side. 
 

After the whole strip is scored, you tape the two ends together.  It forms this circle that you will just push flat to form the rosette.


Scissors are holding down rosette

Next, I squeezed the circle tighter and added two small circles to both side to keep rosette in place.

BUT, I found that over time, it won't stay together and it pops the circles off.  So, here is where I need suggestions.  Got any ideas?  For my adhesive I used the red liner tape which is quite strong.  If I come up with more solutions I will let you know.  Nevertheless, it is still very cool and easy to make.  Also, by cutting the strip and doing your own scoring, you could change the size of your rosette.  You know next time, I might try making it out of different paper, possibly something less heavy than cardstock.  Maybe then, the adhesive would adhere better. 

Recipe:

Paper - Reminisce, Cardstock White, Green, Light Green, Glitter Adhesive Paper -unknown
Stamps - Sentiment by Studio G $1 clear stamps
Ink - Versafine Black
Tools - Rub-Ons by Karen Foster, Classic Heart Nestibilities, Stampin' Up Scalloped Border Punch
Other - Rhinestones by Hero Arts & Queen & Co., Ribbon, Twine by The Twinery

Since, I started this week on Sunday with DeNami's blog hop, I guess that is the five cards I have for you this week.  At least, I think that's all.  But, who knows, I might sneak another post in.  If I don't see you before, have a great weekend!  And Happy St. Patrick's Day to you! 

Happy Stamping!
Tina

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I love your St. Patrick's day card. I use hot glue to hold the rosettes together.

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried it, but maybe a glob of E6000 glue in the center would hold the circle onto the rosette.

Cathy G.

 
design by suckmylolly.com